How it all started
In 1890, Baptists living in or around Eddy town in the New Mexico Territory gathered to organize a Baptist Church. Many people joined the church and they named it "Eddy Missionary Baptist Church". Their mission was to serve the new town of Eddy which already had a population of 278. The congregation soon grew and their hearts longed for a house of worship. In 1891, the church was incorporated as the Eddy Missionary Baptist Church, and its Articles of Incorporation were filed in Santa Fe. The church secured land from the Township Company of the site of the new building at the corner of what is now North Halagueno and West Stevens street (The present site of our FBC Annex). Once the building was completed, there was great rejoicing.
The church grew, and between 1904 and 1906, major remodels to the building included electric lighting, a platform, and a baptistery. Throughout the church's life, it has cooperated with other denominations of Carlsbad. In 1935, the congregation voted to build a larger building, our current Worship Center.
Since 1890, the church has continued to grow and minister to the town of Carlsbad faithfully.
Expanding the vision...
First Baptist Carlsbad cooperates with other churches in Carlsbad to spread the Gospel. Fallapalooza, our Christmas presentations, and other events like Rocktober are a great way our church gives to the community while sharing the Gospel.